Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Evolving Viewing Preference

I'm not sure how it happened but right before my very eyes, my 6 year old's TV viewing preferences have evolved. I got so used to her watching Blue's Clues, Dora, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Maisy Mouse and the like that it felt strange seeing her a little bored with these shows and opting to watch shows such as Pokemon, Totally Spies and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm not even certain if she understands what she enjoys watching nowadays.

How do you keep your child from being exposed to TV shows with questionable content and still give her freedom to explore her taste? I don't want to be super strict because this could lead to rebellious acts from her which could worsen as she gets older. At the same time I don't want to be too lenient because I'd like her to develop good values. So what to do?

The best solution is to watch TV with her. I have to discuss the shows with her and point out what's good and what's bad. It's time consuming but it's the only way I can think of to give her a bit of freedom and allow her to discover her own preferences while making sure that good values are in place.

No comments: