Friday, June 22, 2007

Breastfeeding (Part 3)

Before giving birth to our first child, I had initially planned on expressing my milk and let my baby feed through a bottle occasionally. This is primarily to let my husband get his share in bonding with the baby during feeding as well as allow me to go out for some hours. I was discouraged by our pediatrician against doing this as it could lead to "nipple confusion." I took her advice and decided to completely do away with the bottle.

Having decided not to feed my baby through a bottle left me no choice but to constantly bring my baby and my husband with me wherever I go. I experienced feeding my baby while shopping (I literally breastfed while browsing from one shop to another), while attending a church service, while waiting at the doctor's clinic, while eating in a restaurant, while onboard an airplane, bus and car, and in many other places while doing my usual activities.

I have learned the art of breastfeeding in public. Most people don't realize that I'm breastfeeding at all. Maybe it's because I don't make it too obvious. The only thing I need is a wide baby blanket coupled with a happy disposition.

Admittedly, breastfeeding is not for everybody but it is something which should be encouraged. I had my ups and downs with regards to breastfeeding but I never regretted doing it. For me, the benefits far outweigh the inconveniences.

No comments: