Friday, June 22, 2007

Breastfeeding (Part 1)

Both my daughters were exclusively breastfed. They never learned to feed from a bottle and they have never tasted any infant formula. This is something that I am very proud of.

I had no milk yet 2 days after giving birth to my firstborn. My daughter got her first feeding from my sister who had a four month baby at that time. This was not the only time that my sister breastfed her (more about this on the second part). I think my mammary glands got jealous because I was able to express milk just hours after my sister fed my baby. I breastfed my eldest daughter until she was 2 years old.

I was able to start breastfeeding my second daughter hours after she was born. She is not yet weaned and she doesn't seem to have any plans to stop at all. My heart breaks everytime I attempt to wean her and she gives out a painful cry. But I have already resolved to wean her when she turns 3 years old. I just hope it won't be very hard when that time comes.

Breastfeeding my kids has given me a sense of achievement and satisfaction. I have developed a special bonding with them and they made me feel important. It has allowed me to have more cuddle time with them and plenty of eye contact.

I have seen the healthy advantage of breastfeeding. Both my kids seldom get sick. Breastfeeding is also very economical. No need to spend on infant formula as well as baby bottles and all those gadgets associated with bottle feeding. We also have less things to pack and carry whenever we go on a trip.

There are also many sacrifices. More about that later.

No comments: